We have a variety of techniques of using family trusts to facilitate financial and tax planning for different objectives, including:
- tax minimization through income splitting of investment income and capital gains with family members with little or no income
- multiple access to lifetime capital gains exemption
- deferral of capital gains
- tax-loss selling
- creditor proofing of assets and income
- retaining control over assets
- US estate plans for US-situs properties through the use of discretionary inter-vivo trusts
We coordinate with the client’s legal counsel to implement the trust planning, including review of any required legal documents prepared by the legal counsel.
We can also prepare or review trust tax returns that involve complex situations.
- Do You Have to File Foreign Property Reporting (Form T1135)?
- Withholding Tax for Services Rendered in Canada by Non-Residents
- Immigrants – Are You Subject to Canadian Taxes?
- What Are the Best Strategies to Handle A Tax Audit
- Are You Expecting Inheritance from Overseas?
- 2014 Tax Tips for Professionals, Self-Employed and Business Owners
- 2014 Year-end Tax Planning for Individuals
- Are You Entitled to Universal Child Care Benefit?
- Can You Split Income with Your Spouse/Common-Law?
- Salary or Dividends – How Should You Get Paid by Your Company?